Building Promising Futures
Saint Anthony School dates its inception to the fall of 1883 when Mrs. Cecilia Morse began school classes for 14 students in the kitchen of her home in San Antonio, Florida. In April 1884, classes were moved to the church and later in the year to a small frame building. In 1888, a five-acre square of land was deeded in front of the parish property to Father Gerard for use by the town and the parish. In 1892, a two-story frame building was erected on the site of the present school. The building served as school and social hall until 1922 when it was torn down to make room for the historical three-story brick structure which housed the school until January 2015. This building underwent renovation to expand the state-of-the art facilities annexed to the historical building, which opened in January 2015.
On September 1, 1889, the Benedictine Sisters, newly arrived from Pennsylvania, took over the administration and staffing of Saint Anthony School. In August 1891, the School Board of Pasco County granted the request of the resident pastor and appointed two sisters as teachers to “San Antonio Public School #14.” In 1918, members of Saint Anthony parish assumed full responsibility for the continuance of St. Anthony School, without the support from the school board. The Benedictine Sisters of Florida remained actively dedicated to the management of, and teaching in, the school until June 2010. The Franciscan Sisters of St. Elizabeth began serving the school in administrative and teaching capacities in July 2010. In July 2012, St. Anthony Catholic School became a diocesan school under the management of the Catholic School System, Diocese of St. Petersburg, overseen by the Bishop, managed by the Office of Catholic Schools and Centers, and under the leadership of the Principal and with the advisory and spiritual leadership of the local Pastor.
St. Anthony Catholic School is accredited by the Florida Catholic Conference, employs Florida certified and highly qualified teachers, and follows the curriculum approved by the Office of Catholic Schools and Centers which is aligned with Florida’s Core Standards and Next Generation Standards, infused with our Catholic identity. St. Anthony Catholic School actively integrates Catholic morals and social teachings in the curriculum. The school serves students in kindergarten through grade 8, from the surrounding communities: Brooksville, Dade City, Lutz, Land O’ Lakes, New Tampa, Quail Hollow, Ridge Manor, San Antonio, Spring Hill, St. Joseph, St. Leo, Wesley Chapel and Zephyrhills.